Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a UK government-led scheme which allows charities to claim back tax on money and items donated by UK taxpayers. For every £1 you donate with Gift Aid, St Peter's Hospice can claim another 25p.

It's an easy way to make your donation go further, with very little effort from you.

How do I add Gift Aid to my financial donation?

The Gift Aid guidelines require you to complete a Gift Aid Declaration.

If you're donating via a fundraising appeal or an event, a Gift Aid Declaration form is usually included in the information you receive from us. If you donate online, ticking the Gift Aid box is the same as completing a Gift Aid Declaration form.

If you send us a donation by post, we'll contact you to ask if you'd like to add Gift Aid and send you a form. Alternatively, you can download the form here.

Fundraising buckets

Clothes on a rail

How do I add Gift Aid when I donate items to a charity shop?

Next time you're in a St Peter's Hospice Shop, ask to join the Gift Aid scheme. They'll ask you to fill in a short form (just the usual personal details), and give you a card to keep in your wallet.

Attach a label to each bag you donate with your Gift Aid number from your membership card. You can find these labels in any of our shops – just ask if you need help. Don't remember your number? No problem – just write your name and address.

Your donations will be sorted separately, and marked with a special tag to match your donation to Gift Aid. The person buying it doesn't pay anything different, but St Peter's Hospice will get an extra 25% on top of the purchase price.

Who can contribute Gift Aid?

You need to have paid (or will pay) an amount of income tax and/or capital gains tax that is at least equal to the tax that St Peter's Hospice, other charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs you donate to will reclaim on your donations in a tax year.

What if my circumstances change?

Please contact us if you:

  • Want to cancel your Gift Aid declaration
  • Change your name or home address
  • No longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains